The Ten Most Reliable Cars
Before we go any further and list the ten most reliable cars, we need to make one thing clear. Any car will run like a dream for years if you take care of it. Change the oil every few thousand miles, get the fluids topped off, the transmission checked, the tires rotated, the spark plugs checked out, and record your actions to keep a log of the work you’ve put in maintaining your car’s engine to get the most miles out of it.
Regular maintenance doesn’t have to cost you an arm and a leg every time you drive your car into a mechanic’s shop. Spend a little money now to get your car checked and basic maintenance performed to head off more expensive repairs and fixes down the road.
That said, certain cars do tend to hold up better than others from the get-go. Here are ten of the most reliable cars according to Consumer Reports:
- Audi Q3. The Q3 might not be the sexiest Audi you’ll drive, but as far as compact crossover models go, the Q3 is one of the most reliable. It features a 200hp, 2.0-liter turbo four-cylinder engine and turned out a 22mpg in CR tests.
- Chevrolet Cruze. At about half the price of the Audi Q3, the Cruze features a reliable 1.4-liter, four-cylinder turbo engine. This smaller vehicle features many of the attributes of a larger car, such as a quieter ride and was tested at 30mpg.
- Toyota Prius. Don’t laugh, these popular hybrids are now wider, longer, and lower than previous iterations and run forever if properly cared for. The latest models have been tested at 52mpg.
- Lexus CT 200h. Lexus entered the hatchback game and created a vehicle that is reliable, capable of driving on electric power at low speeds, and affordable.
- Fiat 500. Going off the Consumer Reports for a moment, the Fiat 500 was rated as one of the most reliable city cars by other sources recently for its versatility on potholed roads and for cruising around the city.
- Toyota Corolla. Ask around, I suspect at least one of your friends has owned a Toyota Corolla at some point in their life. The reason for this is the Corolla consistently comes out as one of the most reliable cars in its class, rarely needing a mechanic.
- Buick LaCrosse. A highly-rated large luxury car, the Buick LaCrosse might cost you more than other models in its class, but its reliability is unquestioned.
- Chevrolet Malibu. The Malibu is consistently a highly-rated midsize car that usually gets high marks for overall quality by experts.
- Lexus GS. As far as mid-sized, luxury cars go, you can’t go wrong with the GS. It consistently gets high ratings for overall performance and design.
- Chevrolet Camaro. If a sports car is more your speed, the new Camaro is a reliable choice. As long as you take care of it, it will take care of you.
All of these cars have received high marks from auto industry experts and testers over the past decade for overall reliability. It never hurts to take your vehicle into the shop for a fast evaluation by the experts at our shop.